David Cameron has called for Sepp Blatter to leave his post.


Prime Minister David Cameron has supported calls for FIFA president Sepp Blatter to quit.


Football's world governing body was plunged into crisis after a wave of arrests of football officials - including two FIFA vice-presidents - in Zurich on Wednesday on bribery, fraud and money laundering charges following an FBI investigation.

Blatter, who is due to face Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan in FIFA's presidential election on Friday, held an emergency meeting with representatives from the six confederations including UEFA president Michel Platini on Thursday morning, it has been confirmed.

Culture Secretary John Whittingdale called for Blatter to quit earlier today and Cameron has now endorsed that criticism.

During a regular Westminster briefing, the Prime Minister's official spokesman said: "I associated the Prime Minister in full with what John Whittingdale was saying.

"The responsibility with regard to football administration is for football administrators but the FA - and we are squarely behind the FA - supports the candidacy of Prince Ali and we are four square behind that."

Asked if the Prime Minister believed the next World Cup should be staged in England, the spokesman said: "I understand many England fans were disappointed that England's bid hadn't been successful. You know that the Prime Minister was one of them. He was out there trying to get a successful England bid at that time.

"But, the focus now is both the investigations and reform of FIFA."

The US Department of Justice indictment of 18 people said bribes totalling more than 150million US dollars (#98million) had been paid for television rights, sponsorship deals and World Cup votes. The crisis led European football's governing body UEFA to call for Friday's FIFA presidential election to be postponed and questioned whether its 53 voting associations should even attend the Congress.

In a separate development, the Swiss attorney general also opened criminal proceedings over the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, seized documents and electronic data from FIFA's headquarters and will question 10 current FIFA executive committee members who voted on those tournaments.

Source: Sporting Life


        Advertise With Us