Keita's career at Anfield has been blighted by injuries and he won’t be available for Liverpool’s UCL clash against Leipzig on Tuesday night.
Guinea international Naby Keita won’t be involved in the first leg of Liverpool’s Champions League last-16 clash against RB Leipzig on Tuesday evening, Jurgen Klopp confirmed.
The Reds midfielder sealed a move from the Bundesliga club to Anfield for £48 million and has missed more than half of the Merseyside club's fixtures since his arrival back in 2018.
All in all, Klopp says he is pleased with Keita's all-round participation despite injuries hampering his efforts, and also revealed the 26-year-old is edging closer to full fitness.
“Naby is no longer injured but he’s not fit yet,” Klopp said at his pre-match press conference ahead of the clash in Budapest. “He was in training [Monday] but it’s not sufficient yet.
"We will be away for two days and he will be in training; it’s better than flying with us. Of course, Naby would have liked to be there when it’s against Leipzig.
“He has had some very great spells but obviously you have to say he has had too many injuries as well, which hasn’t helped a lot.
"But he has played some really great games for us and scored important goals, has contributed to our success last year; he was always involved despite the injuries."